Saturday, April 29, 2006

When Big Players Do Big Things

Now that's a great way to kick off the latest foray into the house of pain.

Oh when Larry drove his latest dagger into the New York National League franchise you were sweating weren't you? I'll tell you when I was sweating...I was sweating when John Smoltz danced around Cliff Floyd in the seventh and dared Xavier Nady to beat him with the bases loaded. All that Gary and Keith could talk about was how John Smoltz made walks work for him. And all I could think was "oh no, here we go again." And when X popped up to keep the score at 3-2, every pessimistic, glass half empty bone in your body thought that the worst was going to happen...again.

But Braden Looper is nowhere to be found.

Plain and simple, the Mets beat Atlanta tonight because Queens' best was at their best. Petey, save for the two run home run to everybody's favorite hateable third baseman, was brilliant for seven innings. Jose Reyes and David Wright, the young cornerstones of the franchise, produced. Reyes got on base 3 times and scored twice, while Wright hit two home runs. And Billy Wagner, Country Time, nailed down a big save in a big spot. Sure, it was dicey...the bases were loaded...and it wasn't September. But it was Atlanta...and it was the Braves. And that's big enough for me at this point.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was good. That was fine. But not good enough. Good enough is beating the Braves 23-6, and then going out the next day and opening up 15-2 in the second inning.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll go first.

Nady didn't break on contact...

Duaner Sanchez didn't have his best stuff...

And Pedro needs to at least pretend that he cares about his at-bats.

That's all.

I'd say it was a pretty damn good night.

Metstradamus said...

Anonymous:

The Mets are something like 23-5,391 in Atlanta during the last ten years. This season, they're 1-0. I'll take it. If you want to get greedy and anger the Gods of baseball, that's your business. I don't need another curse...I've had enough. Curses make me cranky.

Metstradamus said...

I agree. Reyes getting on base vs. Reyes not getting on base, I think, has been the biggest factor in the Mets winning and the Mets losing. Don't forget about the hit and run with Lo Duca in the first inning which led to the sacrifice fly.

Anonymous said...

Knowing that a lot of Mets fans are Jets fans...perhaps some comment on the draft is appropriate? These are my thoughts on the draft as a Jets fan.........I dislike the move by the Jets with their #1 draft pick. Going with Da Brickshaw Ferguson at Offensive Lineman versus going with Matt Leinart (a two time NCAA champion QB, Heisman Trophy winner, and an over .900 winning percentage with his USC team). The fact that he slipped to #10 was astounding.

The reason I believe this was a wrong move for the Jets' future is that I simply don't believe in Chad. Chad is 30 years old and has been injured his whole career. He is just coming off two throwing shoulder surgeries. There is no suitable backup. I believe his time has come and gone and that's unfortunate because I like the guy and I thought he could have been a Super Bowl QB. Now we have a QB that's always injured and a Hall of Fame running back on the verge of retirement! Ferguson is blue chip but he won't score points. I would have liked to have seen Leinart lead us over the next 10 seasons and kick us off in the new stadium in 2009 in the right way.

Instead the Sun God shined down on Arizona of all places.....they have Edgerrin James, Leinart, and a couple of good receivers from what I understand. What a poor choice for us.

Leinart looked steamed at the draft when Mangini didn't make him the next "Broadway Joe". I believe he will be on a mission next year and going forward to prove all the doubters wrong. The Jets had a chance to get their Eli Manning in the 2006 draft and failed to do so.

This weekend set the Jets back farther.

Metstradamus said...

Ray,

Allow me to defend the pick if I will.

I like Matt Leinart, and am a bit shocked that the Jets didn't take him. But if you put Matt Leinart in front of a swiss cheese line you've got Browning Nagle.

Also, with all the questions about arm strength with Leinart, putting him in a stadium filled with cross winds might not be the best idea. You should know about that, hey Ray?

There are so many holes on the Jets, and I believe the smart way to go is what the Jets did...build from the inside out. And don't worry, Brady Quinn comes out next season.