Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gross Instability

As someone who has turned his ankle a few times, let me be the first to say...

Ouch.

You can always tell when I'm coming by the clicking sound that my ankle makes when it's involved in the process of walking. You see, one too many turned left ankles on the basketball court ended that 0.00001% chance of me becoming the next Larry Bird (lousy bone chips). After Damion Easley's left ankle hit the ground on Saturday (with no Lawrence Taylor to expedite the process as he did with a certain former Redskins QB turned ESPN announcer in the exact same stadium), I wonder if he's going to hear that same clicking sound for a while after Easley was diagnosed with a Grade 3 sprain.

Grade three, if you're wondering, is really bad.
"Complete tear of the ligament. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the ankle joint in certain movements, gross instability occurs."
Of course, this would happen about an inning after Easley's immeasurable value was being discussed in the booth during tonight's game. What does this mean? It means Shawn Green at first base against lefties until Carlos Delgado gets back. Please get well soon, Carlos. And Damion...well, just get well. Soon may be too much to ask.

(You know, I hear Jose Offerman's available.)

And of course this would happen after the Mets lost another catcher to the DL today, as Fluff Castro still has an arthritic back.

(I know about bad backs. I also know of the rigors of catching, as I was pressed into duty as an emergency catcher for a company team in a tournament some years back...I wasn't even a part of that company but they begged me. That was their first mistake. Let's just say that it was so bad that I got special dispensation from the umpire to wear my shin guards while I was batting...because it wasn't like I was making contact with the ball anyway and if I did, It wasn't like I could get much slower. I just didn't want to break my toe fouling a ball off. So how bad was I? Let's just say that it's a good thing that this boxscore is never going to show up on Retrosheet or anything like that. And by the way, Alberto Castillo laughs at me.)

But otherwise, this was an extremely productive night in the standings for the Mets as they have gained a game on their competition with a 7-4 victory, coupled with Micah Owings having a little league game against the Braves, and the Pirates coming back from four down against the Phillies At least they've never done that against the Met...oh, wait.

I like the fact that Oliver Perez gutted through his six innings. But I'm still wondering if he's hit some sort of wall. He is lacking a little bit of velocity and an ever so slight bit of movement. It's a good sign when Perez can win with guile like Tom Glavine does, because maybe he can use these smarts when his stuff comes back.

I just hope he doesn't have to do it that often.

I wonder if John Lannan would have rather given up number 756 to Barry Bonds than give up Luis Castillo's first home run in one year, one month, and two days (or 674 at-bats if you choose to count that way). Between breaking Chase Utley's hand, pitching to Bonds, and now this, it's already been a lifetime of cool memories about John Lannan. (I can't wait until he mathematically eliminates the Mets from playoff contention in 2014 with a two-hitter. You know it's coming.)

(P.S. My crack staff has been following Guillermo Mota around after tonight's game. Apparently he was seen visiting every White Castle in the D.C. area...hoping that with all the sliders they have, maybe they're the ones that stole his by mistake. If he finds it, he can always reapply it in cream or clear form.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except...the small problem of Perez being #46...not #48,,,which is Aaron Heilman. But he hit the wall awhile ago so it's kind of a correct illustration...oh wait...Heilman is a righty.

Anonymous said...

i actually just had a grade three sprain -- incurred it in my left ankle the morning of game 6 of the lcs in october and did myself no favors by going to shea that night.

it's BAD. i was in a boot for 8 weeks, and even then it was tender for another month at least. (i remember being amazed that cliff floyd, who had the far worst issue of his achilles to contend with, came up to bat in game 7; i was vastly more amazed that willie let him.)

easley's probably gone for the rest of the season, and if he does make it back before then, he's absolutely damaged goods.

Metstradamus said...

anonymous, I knew before I did it that I was going to get that wrong, yet I still did. Luckily, it's not that hard to fix...watch this:

Metstradamus said...

Voila. And thank you.

Metstradamus said...

dmg, I guess we should take bets on which 35+ year old the Mets will sign, impress us, then get a debilitating injury in 2008.

Anonymous said...

i like easley. he's a big, clutch, versatile loss for the rest of 2007 on a team of mostly elderly clods. that being said, mister omar, please don't resign him for 2008. he's done, though in a more noble fashion than valentin was done when he couldn't hit a f#&#ing SF in Game 7 vs. St. Looie, when he became irrelevant. damion--it ain't bad retiring in AZ with $20M in the bank, BBQing with Tony Clark...wish I could do it.

Anonymous said...

mike bacsik gave up 756

Metstradamus said...

I know...what's your point?