Thursday, August 28, 2008

Escape From Philadelphia

Let's forget the obvious for a moment, that the five runs that the Mets scored after the fifth inning were instrumental in the Mets Wednesday victory because:
  • the Mets were behind and actually needed the runs,
  • the Mets were playing the Phillies ... ahead of them to start the night, and ...
  • the Mets got those runs off of the Phillies bullpen, Kryptonite to Mets bats.
I got a comment on my last post which basically said that late runs are a non-story, and that seven runs late in the game still would have left the Mets one short. So I put on my white coat, entered my math lab, made all of the calculations and concluded that yes, seven runs is still less than eighth no matter when the seven runs are scored. Let that be a lesson to you kids: Math is useful and fun.

But here's the difference between late runs and early runs: Tuesday night: I had this feeling in the ninth that it was only a matter of time until the bullpen blew it. Wednesday night: I thought the game was over entering the ninth (and don't tell me that I had that feeling because the lead was three instead of one ... I've seen what this bullpen can do with three run leads and it's not f***ing pretty). And if I, of all people, was feeling a little invincible, imagine what they were feeling on the Mets bench.

Also, when you score runs early, you're most likely going to do it against one pitcher. When you score runs late, you're probably going to do it against three or four guys with all of the pitching changes, so you make a team feel like they have no options ... you know, that feeling you get when Snoop trots out Heilman, Sanchez and Feliciano all the time? That one.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take runs during any inning at any time. But those late runs, thanks to Carlos Delgado, Daniel Murphy, and Brian Schneider, kept those creepy feelings away ... at least until the next time we meet up with the Phillies (the team that the Mets officially won the season series with last night ... incidentally.)

So enjoy your day off today in the knowledge that at least for now, all is right and familiar with the world. The Mets are in first place, Fluff Castro is on the DL, and Skip Bayless is still an ever-loving tool:
"Way to go, Phillies!!!!!!!" -Skip Bayless on Wednesday's "First Pizza", or whatever they call that show these days.
Bite me, you contrarian cupcake crumb.

15 comments:

TW said...

It's amazing that they give TV jobs to guys like that.

Is Carlos Delgado eligible to be MVP if he continues through September like this? And if he does, do you think he'll grab his crotch at the cheering thousands in newly opened Citifield when accepting the trophy? He would deserve to the opportunity. We have been assholes to him and he has simply been one of the top offensive forces in all of baseball since July.

Rickey said...

Hey, hey whatdayaknow? Some late game runs from the office for a change! Rickey approves of this development.

Ari Berkowitz said...

man, I love your work and I read your posts every day but two things are bothering me: a)you always call DANIEL Murphy, DAVID Murphy(who plays for the Rangers) and b)You didn't make any jokes about fluff's injury

Anonymous said...

I had the same feeling. When Delgado tied the score 3-3 in the 8th, I felt more comfortable than when we were ahead 7-6 in the 9th on Tuesday. It's psychological - no question.

I'm impressed - I never thought they'd rebound after Tuesday. I happily admit I was wrong. I was also wrong when I thought Manuel made a mistake not pinch hitting Tatis for Murphy in the 6th, when Eyre was brought in to relieve Kendrick. A line drive double off Lidge with the game on the line? Gotta love this kid.

Metstradamus said...

Ari,

Dammit, I'm sorry. I must have been obsessing about my fantasy team, which includes David Murphy (I'm not sure why, I'm about 1,000 games out). But be fair ... I searched the blog, this was the first time I did that. I've called Jose Valentin "John" more often.

Anonymous said...

Time to add Jayson Stark to the hate list - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings. Stark was also the guy who, a month ago, said that Ryan Howard, even with his low average and record pacing strikeout numbers, would have vastly superior numbers than Carlos Delgado. Still sticking to that Jayson?

Metstradamus said...

Unser, don't forget his Braves to the Series prediction at the beginning of the season. His Howard prediction and what he wrote today were not as out there as that.

Anonymous said...

Schneck usually tries to avoid controversy but here goes. Carl Pavano is out on the waiver wire. If the price is realistic I say we go for it.

TW said...

Again, its amazing they give TV jobs to guys like that.

Ari Berkowitz said...

You still didn't answer about Fluff Castro, why didn't you make fun?

Anonymous said...

I don't think skip bayless has ever watched a baseball game. he suggested on cold and down once that after the 12th inning teams should get 4 outs per inning.

thanks for showing up you moron

Metstradamus said...

Some jokes are too easy.

Anonymous said...

Kip Bayless is a deuschebag (but everyone already knew that) - but Buster Olney (who should know better) is also a deuschebag for calling the Phillies the Phavorites for the NL East after tuesday night's win.

all season long the Mets have lost the first game of the series with the Phillies and won all the rest. Let's hope that continues.

Anonymous said...

Sorry...thought you said 'Meth' lab. It was much funnier that way.
"Because METH is fun!"

Anonymous said...

What no post about the Phillies blowing the lead? C'mon Metsra, I need my fix!