"Someone's dreams will come true. Why can't they be yours?" -Mega Millions television commercialBecause I'm a Mets fan, that's why.
Joel Pineiro? Three hits? Really?
Let's review, kids:
- The Mets can't win with their spiritual leader on the mound.
- The Phillies beat Tim Hudson and John Smoltz in back to back games. That had never happened before to Hudson and Smoltz.
- The seven game lead is all gone.
- Marlon Anderson is gone for tomorrow's game.
- And speaking of tomorrow's game, and things that rhyme with Marlon, the Marlins have just swept the Cubs, and they come in to Shea Stadium hot.
- The f***ing Marlins!!!
Hope? Not for me. We're done. I'll pray I'm proven wrong. It will be futile. Any team that lets a first inning error by their second baseman, and a journeyman pitcher who was picked up off the scrap heap by a team that's out of the money dictate their night is exhibiting the classic signs of a team that is playing nervous, scared, whatever you want to call it. I'll go so far to say that if you used the C-word in this instance, you wouldn't be wrong. And any fan base that sings the "Jose Jose Jose" like it was a funeral march knows exactly what's going on.
My only hope is that the construction on Citi Field is accelerated. Because Shea Stadium might very well be burned down to the ground on Monday.
(Editor's note: Ten minutes after this loss, the Mets e-mail me and tell me that I wasn't chosen for the postseason ticket drawing. Nice of the club to cheer me up with a joke.)