Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Happiness Is A Warm Pitcher

Your ace has come.

We've waited so long for that special spark to return to the Mets. "Not the same team as last year", they say. "Passionless", they say. "They're not having fun", they say.

Pedro Martinez changes all that.

Pedro can make 'em dance and laugh and play all he wants. The true test will come in the days and weeks to come when Petey finds out whether he can do this long haul. The first test is out of the way. Now all he needs to do is deliver start after start after start. He isn't going to be counted on to be the Petey of old, nor should he be. But with Orlando Hernandez gone for a start, it's going to be doubly important that the ace be there consistently. Just keep the Mets in the game.

I'm going to try to resist the urge to believe that Pedro's mere presence is going to pick up the team like a magic elixir. As much as I want to believe that, and as much as there's evidence that it could be true, I'm not willing to put that much pressure on Pedro. Besides, it's going to take more than ten runs in one start to convince me. If the Mets can't consistently put runs on the scoresheet, I'm not willing to believe that it'll be because Petey's jokes aren't as funny as they used to be. But sometimes people respond to the weirdest mental crutch. Perhaps there is a good feeling that is permeating through the lockerroom now that Pedro has returned. And whether he shows it in the dugout with a dance, or shows it after covering first base with a fist pump, he's doing it however he can. So there's no more excuses for the rest of the team.

Your spiritual leader has come.

Don't waste him.

Meanwhile, I'm now officially on break until Friday...more so, you're the ones that get the break from me...enjoy. I, meanwhile, am off to attempt a rare feat: four baseball games attended in 48 hours. How do I do this, you ask? Tuesday night: Mets at Reds. Wednesday afternoon: Mets at Reds. Wednesday night: after what is hopefully less than a five hour drive, it's off to Wrigley Field for Dodgers at Cubs. Then it's a Thursday Dodgers/Cubs matinee before the long drive back to Cincinnati on Thursday night in preparation for a Friday morning flight home. The goal is to be in the stadium from first pitch to final out.

Until then, I'm not going to leave you guys with no direction or guidance while I'm gone. So while I'm out, I advise you all to print out the following, cut it out, and keep it in your wallet or purse for quick reference. Remember, be prepared while I'm gone.


(All praise due to the origins of this color coded system, The Sox Machine, where you can visit the original work of art here. I'm sure even our new friends at the Machine would agree that a bullpen advisory system is sorely needed at Shea, for the mental well being of our fans. Thank you.)

7 comments:

Mike said...

Heilman a higher risk than The Schoe, and (lately) Wagner?

No way, good sir.

upstate met fan said...

creative. very creative.

a sweep of the braves and a fine effort by pedro has given my family the confidence to put me off the suicide watch.

Unknown said...

Heilman is not a bigger risk than Scott Schoeneweis.

Toasty Joe said...

That chart is awesome. Sad thing is, I would probably swap Wags for Schoenweis at this point

Rickey said...

Awesome chart, but as someone pointed out above, there's absolutely no way Heilman is more of a risk than The Horror Show.

K5nyc said...

Teams that had a six-plus run lead in the eighth inning or later this season entered today 517-0. The Phillies lead 8-2 in the top of the eighth inning.superj

I.M. Forme said...

that is a wonder to behold.