Sunday, July 12, 2009

Frenchy Is Peachy, But ...

Mike Bordick also started his Mets career well.

I was getting into the whole Jeff Francoeur thing too ... "Hey, two for four! Two RBI's! Look like line drives in the box score! Frenchy's always smiling! Maybe I was wrong!" Then I was reminded of Mike Bordick hitting a home run on the first pitch he ever saw as a Met before he fell off the face of the planet.

So not only was the liquid in my half full glass emptied on to the floor, the glass was smashed to the floor, and I was made to lick the mess up with my tongue before being made to watch Donne Wall's career highlights on DVD. (Luckily, that last part only took 36 seconds. But it was painful nonetheless.)

But Frenchy did have a good debut. I'll give him that.

5 comments:

fredstradamus said...

Why must you be such a pessimist? I mean, you're welcome! ;)

James Allen said...

...and Ryan Church went 0 for 4 last night. I take it all back, the trade is an unqualified success! (Well, the Braves won anyway, but still.)

Also, SNY should just have dubbed one of their cameras "Frenchycam" and been done with it. Kate Hudson didn't get as much camera time the last time she was at Yankee Stadium.

schneck said...

I was at the game last night and was somewhat surprised by the enthusiastic welcome he got from most of the fans. By his last at-bat I noticed my right hand trying to rise into a clapping motion but I was just able to stop it in time. I was sitting in an outfield section so he was pretty close to us and a bunch of guys started a "Francoeur, Francoeur, Francoeur, Francoeur" chant to the tune of the Jose chant and got a tip of the cap from him.

A few more games like this, continued smiles on the field, I may not be able to prevent myself from cheering for this guy, especially since he apparently couldn't wait to leave the enemy and seems happy to be on our side.

Of course, I probably said something similar about Mike Bordick on day 2.

Demitri said...

Bordy was brought on to shore up the defense in 2000, as I recall (replacing the offensive powerhouse of Rey OrdoƱez wasn't really hard).

Getting the bad platoon of Mora/Len "E" Harris off the field was the goal of that one. I think anything he brought in on offense was a bonus.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, didn't Bordick's defense save the Mets in the division series against the Giants that year?