Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Cheap Shot

Those waiting for me to take a cheap shot at Jeff Reardon for his recent problems can keep waiting. This isn't a story born out of stupidity, but rather out of tragedy. I'm not touching it with a ten foot joke book, and I hope for nothing but the best for Reardon from this moment forward.

I do, however have one question:

If Reardon is an "Ex-Met and Yank star" (he started his career with the Mets before his career took off, and ended it with the Yankees long after his effectiveness was gone), why does the New York Post have to automatically depict him as a Met on the front cover?

This city has newspapers that let Mark Messier get bumped from the back page the day he announces his retirement to feature a Yankee cartoon after an off day to tease a big series with the Tampa Bay Never Rays for crying out loud, because Yankees sell papers. But now that there's scandal, Reardon's conveniently a Met. How fair is this? The last time Jeff Reardon put on a Met uniform we were minutes removed from the Jimmy Carter administration!

Why not have dual collectors covers? I mean, maximize your readership? Yankee fans can buy the Met cover, Met fans can buy this alternate Yankee cover? Now that's how you sell papers! Heck the Post could spin this into collectors pins as they do with every other sport...have Reardon behind bars in a Met cap and a Yankee cap. That seems like a not too far fetched exploitation for the Post to capitalize on...they're sleazy enough for it.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm waiting for the day when some Yankee, one who played for the Yankees and not the Mets, gets himself into trouble for some reason or another...then let's see how the New York Post would handle something like that.

Then again, I'm not sure I want to know:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again hittin the nail on the head Metsra....Good job

I long ago stopped buying The Post. It used to be I'd pick up all 3 NY papers to see what was goin on...to get my fix....I am not sure what broke the camels back but I just couldn't deal with the crap that paper puts out and the spin they put on everything.

By the way do you have so many hits on your site that it necesitates the use of a word verification? Are some seedy Braves fan hackers trying to overload your site?

Just curious....

Metstradamus said...

Tommy,

It had nothing to do with the hits...it was all the automated comment spam I was getting...about Chinese food cooking blogs and stock option trading crap. Useless garbage like that. I didn't want to have to do it but the spam was getting insane and I got tired of deleting it all.

I wonder if that's why nobody goes to Braves games...maybe all their fans are busy releasing viruses on everyone's home computers.

Metstradamus said...

LOL, Thanks Tommy!

Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Awesome covers, Metsta! Yanks always get a free pass. How come Palmiero is booed out of the game and Giambi gets the freaking comeback player of the year? And Sheffield "accidently" taking roids and everyone's OK with that?

Anonymous said...

Oh Great Metstradamus,

You have come through with yet another classic post. For this I give ye thanks.

At the same time, I question your sanity for devoting so much time to writing articles and even photoshopping fake Post articles.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad you do it.

Metstradamus said...

Dave, so true it's ridiculous. Be glad you're in Michigan out of the line of fire...where the only thing you have to read about are the growing calls for Matt Millen's and Lloyd Carr's heads on a platter.

Patrick, Photoshop makes a great Christmas gift, doesn't it?

And if you want to question my sanity, you will have to take your place at the back of a very long line...one that includes friends, family, and many of the people who read and support this blog with kind words. I think I take multiple spots on that list as well as I question my sanity at least once a day.