Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mythical Monsters

"The greatest rock ’n’ roll musicians are desperate men." -Bruce Springsteen
Apparently, so are the most mediocre baseball organizations.

When it was announced on ESPN that Joel Pineiro signed with the Angels, I muttered an expletive. Yeah, it's gotten that bad. And we're at the point now where a starting rotation that is in sorely need of help below Johan Santana is starting to run out of options.

So should I start lighting my candles for Ben Sheets, or should I spend the next two months searching the woods for this mythical Reds trade that's going to get us Brandon Phillips and Bronson Arroyo or Aaron Harang? It's like searching for the Yeti or Sasquatch.

(Does that make Arroyo the Yeti and Harang Sasquatch?)

But seriously, Joel Pineiro ... whom I irrationally hate ... goes to another team and I'm throwing cuss words around? For Joel Pineiro? These times are more desperate than the Mets are to trade Luis Castillo.

At least the Mets will get a paid vacation in Puerto Rico. The way the season's going to go, I don't know if we'll know the difference.

4 comments:

number15 said...

is it THAT unreasonable to expect ollie to have a bounce-back year?? [absorbs a massive volley of rotten fruit and empty beer bottles]

Metstradamus said...

I hope at least those beer bottles were plastic :)

King Metropolitan said...

Honestly, I don't know if I care that Pineiro went to the Angels -- hey, at least he won't be able to kill us anymore! Apparently, that was the only reason Omar wanted him to begin with.

Demitri said...

Sorry - I'm not upset about Piniero either.

He would have fit too comfortably into the "He absolutely killed us, but now sucks now that he's a Met" paradigm that still seems to be in effect.