Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ocean's Five

Ya gotta love Snoop's optimism when talking about basically going into 2010 with the same rotation as 2009 (save for Fernando Nieve instead of Livan Hernandez):
"We might be fortunate enough to get away with this."
Notice it wasn't "I'd go to war with these guys" or, "We can do this with the players we got", or some similar positive jargon. But "fortunate enough to get away with this." If Danny Ocean had said that in the meeting room, Terry Benedict would have caught him and his gang in the basement of the Bellagio and there wouldn't have been two sequels. The End.

"Fortunate enough to get away with this." Not exactly the inspirational tone I need when deciding on how many tickets to buy this season. I don't know about you, but I smell slogan.

"The 2010 New York Mets ... Wha? We Might Get Lucky!"

Snoop also came up with a good one concering Kelvim Escobar, who had committed to the Mets' mini-camp and then never showed up:
Manuel said he had no qualms with the veteran pitcher's decision to skip the voluntary workouts.

"Johan [Santana], it was important for me to see him and Oliver Perez," Manuel said. "I really wanted to see those guys."
Oh sure, five innings in two seasons, I've seen plenty. Just, just leave that old VHS of the Blue Jays' highlight reel from 1997 on my desk, that'll do just fine.

"The 2010 New York Mets ... I Don't Actually See The Pitchers."

9 comments:

Jon said...

We might get lucky...classic!

Despite the front office's attempt to kill any enthusiasm going into the season, I still can't wait for baseball. Great site!

tommy_calzone said...

What's the emoticon for vomit?

Mark91 said...

Another gem:

"I think Daniel Murphy can do enough that we can survive."

Sherwinator said...

Great article. My dad and I are Dodgers fans, living in New York. We root for the Mets and follow them since it's nearly impossible to keep up with all of the Dodgers news all of the time. I'm a big fan of your blog. We wrote some similar articles about the amazins' also if you want to check it out.

http://www.whatsgoodblog.com/?s=mets&x=0&y=0

Anonymous said...

and we're lucky to have you and Omar, Snoop... Real lucky.

tommy_calzone said...

That we are Anon, that we are indeed.

The gifts that keep on giving.

MetFanMac said...

...This season's going to suck so badly, isn't it?

Hazeleyes said...

It might be just enough to get away with?

Well hot diggity. If that isn't a vote of confidence from a manager I dont know what is.

At least the Clooney picture was nice.

Robby said...

Hey Sherwinator...is that you, Jeff Wilpon!!!???