Thursday, November 27, 2008

Popularity Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

The Mets are not only giving back to the community, they're using their "popularity" to give back during the Thanksgiving holiday.

You know what this franchise's "popularity" got me?

I'm in a store last night looking for candy as a helpful gentleman was busy telling people that if they needed help to come to him. "Ma'am, If you need anything, let me know and I'll help you." Then again to the next person: "Ma'am If you need anything, let me know and I'll help you." Then he gets to me. "Sir ..."

(sees Mets hat ... first time this particular model has been worn)

"Sir ... you need to change your hat."

(looks at me)

"Immediately."

All I could do was laugh. It kept me from crying.

And I think the candy made me sick.

Here's hoping you don't get sick from too much turkey, mashed potatoes, lasagna, stuffing, chocolate cream pie, ambrosia, or whatever interesting things you have on tap for the holiday. I know I have plenty to be thankful for, including turkey, mashed potatoes, lasagna, stuffing, chocolate cream pie, ambrosia ...

Yes, even baseball. (Though it's kinda down on the list these days.) Happy Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

upstate met fan said...

I get a comment like that at least once a year... there was the "sir with that t-shirt on you'll get nowhere" or "the mets suck" chant from a tinted windows SUV in rural upstate NY after I got out of my car with my mets cap on. I'm used to it by now. Sonbitches don't know what's good for them.

Anonymous said...

Wear your jets hat Jetstradamus and you may get a better response. You'll get your reward for perseverance this year. You'll see the Jets hit it long before the Mets will again.

This is it. This is the year. Your season has come....this year is next year...oh wait.....

Demitri said...

I wore my Savannah Sand Gnats Hat for the 2 weeks following the World Series. I know, I'm chicken, but I take a train to Philly every day and the last thing I need at 7:30 in the AM is shit from Phillies Fans.

I switched back to my Mets cap this week though. Screw it. We've been through worse than this before. Rooting for the Mets in 1978 was way tougher, and a character builder. There's nothing that Philly fans can do that can compare to having "Mets Suck" yelled at you regularly as an 8 year old.