Friday, December 25, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

"Jason Bay would rather play in Beirut than Queens." -Peter Gammons
Well this is just silly. First and foremost, there's no Shake Shack in Beirut.

There's also, to the best of my knowledge, no baseball in Beirut. But there's barely any baseball in Queens so that's a wash. So what about Beirut would be so appealing to Jason Bay? Maybe it's the short porch at Camille Chamoun Sports City Stadium (70 meters). Maybe it's the fact that according to a 2006 Travel and Leisure, Beirut was named the ninth best city in the world.

Or maybe because in Beirut, there's at least a small chance that he would get to face Oliver Perez*.

In any event, if you're keeping score at home, the last three days have seen the Mets referenced against a city in its former war-torn state, and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Any Pinto references you'd like to break out before the New Year, Mr. Gammons?

(*Editor's note: Jason Bay is 0-for-3 lifetime against Oliver Perez.)

4 comments:

David Pinto said...

I do not explode on rear-end collisions.

Schneck said...

Looking at the picture at the end of the post just made me forget everything you wrote but I do know that suddenly I love Beirut!

Jason said...

This is a great sports blog you have here man. It’s a very good read. I have a sports blog myself but I specifically cover the New York Giants. I’ve been a fan all my life and it’s great writing about them. I would like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around. It can’t hurt us, it’s a win/win on both sides.

Please let me know if this is possible. Take care and keep up the good work.

Jason
GIANTStalk.com

Hazeleyes said...

So let him go play in Beirut... or anywhere else. I don't want nobody who don't want to play here. It can only breed disaster.

And we have enough of that already.