Monday, December 21, 2009

National Disaster

Would Jason Marquis have been the be-all end-all of the Mets return to glory in 2010? Most likely not. Would he have been a small part of the solution when in tandem with other smart acquisitions? Maybe. Should the fact that Marquis signed with the Nationals give you cause to pull your hair out of your head?

It should. Not so much because Marquis going to the Washington Nationals makes them favorites to win the N.L. East ... he doesn't. Not so much because he's going to win 21 games for Washington ... he's not. But if you're a Met fan, the following quote from Jason Marquis should give you convulsions:
"I want to play for a team that is headed in the right direction and making the moves that is necessary to get themselves back to being a winning organization. Some of the moves the Nationals have made -- like [signing Stephen Strasburg] signing Pudge [Ivan Rodriguez] and getting [Brian Bruney] -- they are making the necessary steps. I feel I can fit right in and bring a winning attitude to the team." -Jason Marquis
Now, if Marquis has signed with Washington, or somewhere else for that matter, for the three seasons at $10 million per that he was looking for before, then you really couldn't blame the Mets for passing. But you mean to tell me that a team that missed out on John Lackey with the rotation deficiencies that the Mets have couldn't pony up two seasons at $15 million total for a guy who has been putting up neon signs over his head all year that he wanted to come to New York? Marquis was practically wearing a giant Statue of Liberty head to the mound in Colorado, and they couldn't snag him at that price? And not only that, they lost him to one of the few teams below them in the standings because they, of all things, have a plan and are "headed in the right direction"?

Think about that as Jason Bay is hoping that the Elmjack little leaguers can raise about $61 million in sales of Nestle Crunch bars so that he can have another option ... any option ... other than the Mets.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right on. He could have started to turn the tide here in terms of spirit. Omar doesn't get it.

Joe Cook said...

Jason Marquis's consistent double-digit wins and 190 innings aren't worth 2 years, 15 million in this rather weak starting pitchers market, yet last year Minaya saw Oliver Perez as being worth a 3 year, 36 million dollar commitment (when much better pitchers signed for less last year [see: Randy Wolf]). The Mets didn't open their wallets for John Lackey this offseason (though Minaya apparently planned to meet with him the day after he signed with Boston... oops!), supposedly due to injury concerns. Are we really waiting 'til next year to open the wallet for Brandon Webb -- a guy who has been injured numerous times already in his career? Nothing done by Omar makes sense.

If Alex Cora is worth $2 million (with a vesting option for ANOTHER $2 million next year), then surely Marquis was worth matching or exceeding the Nationals' offer.

Anonymous said...

The Wilpons are broke!

SINYMETS said...

It seems talks with Marquis agent broke off after he asked for a 2 year deal and Omar insisted he take a 5 year deal

metsfan23 said...

I don't mind the Mets passing on Marquis as much as I do them showing little to no signs of life in regards to starting pitching. First it was trying to trade Castillo (failed), now it's the game of musical chairs being played with Bay and Molina. The Mets seem to operate with one primary objective, and tend to disregard the team's other holes, thus allowing players to get scooped up by other teams. BTW, I read this same comment by Marquis a few days go, and immediately got the impression that the Mets no longer fit the bill.

Hazeleyes said...

I am disheartened to say the least. I am sorry that Jason came to this decision but I can't say as I blame him. The stench of the last couple of seasons is strong. The Nats may be a hot mess but they have never had anyplace to go but up since the MTL days. I fear that the Mets have not hit bottom yet.

Trash Man said...

Yet another shot. Even when a decent player begs to come to the Mets, management is still sitting on their hands. The reason that they haven't heard from Bay or Molina is that neither can endure several years of being tortured by Oliver Perez. Yet, a consistent 15-game winner with a proven track record they can't even make a phone call to his agent. How much more can we stand?

nirsnet said...

Nationals are going to be a lot better than you NY Mets think....maybe we'll even pass you this year.....

Metstradamus said...

Nirsnet, considering your team swept us last season with me in attendance for the last two games, I'm thinking you've passed us already.

Schneck said...

It is almost as if Omar and Co. have their eyes on one or two possibilities and are willing to allow all other opportunities to vanish while they fail at securing those deals.

The Metmaster said...

Here's something to mull over Met fans....the Yankees traded Melky Cabrera today opening a slot in left field for them. Do they turn to Damon to fill the hole? If I'm Jason Bay's agent I would be ringing Brian Cashman's phone off the hook. Bay would forget the 5th year demand and sign with the Yankees if the offer was competitive. Here's something else to chew on... Several writers have suggested the Mets save their dough and be big time buyers in next year's free agent market where there will be an unbelievable crop of players. But ask yourself this question: If the Wilpon's budget is $140-million, who comes off the books heading into next FA season to allow them to be big-game hunters? Castillo? Who else? We are SO screwed.

MetFanMac said...

As compensation, the Coupons will now sign Todd Hundley.

The Metmaster said...

The Mets have extended the deadline for ticket plan renewals until December 31st. Woo hoo.