Sunday, August 06, 2006

Just Stoppin' By

As I get ready to curl up with some chicken wings to go with some Sunday night Mets baseball, I have a couple of quick ones for you...

Many thanks to Toasty Joe for Michael Kay's meltdown (via the good people at "Deadspin"...via the good people at "Fire Joe Morgan") on ESPN radio. This left me speechless (hopefully, not for long).

And apparently, Paul Lo Duca isn't speaking to the media anymore, for reasons that he said would be apparent to all of us today. The crack staff has convened and closest thing they could come up with was this innocuous quote at the end of this Palm Beach Post article...

Before Wednesday's game, former Marlins catcher Paul Lo Duca held a black bat in one hand and a silver Sharpie in the other.

"What should I sign to Dontrelle?'' Lo Duca said.

"How about, 'Can't wait to catch you on opening day,'?" one tabloid reporter replied.

Lo Duca put his head down and whispered to himself: "That would be nice."
I know I wouldn't be too happy if something I whispered underneath my breath about a player on another team made it in print. I wonder...

Either that or the Undertaker is mad at Michael Kay for comparing an unwritten clubhouse rule to the Holocaust. I can't tell.

P.S. David Wright: locked up! Booya!!!

9 comments:

Toasty Joe said...

GReat job by the crack committee digging that one up. This is a puzzler indeed. You think he'll keep his weekly call-in gig on Joe Beningo's show on the FAN? I would assume he's got some sort of contract for that.

Metstradamus said...

Wasn't there a former Met manager...I want to say it was Buddy Harrelson around the 1991 range...who had a similar weekly show that bailed halfway through because he was getting killed by whoever was interviewing him? I guess it could be. Lo Duca on Beningo is something I would want to hear...especially in this case.

Toasty Joe said...

Can't say I recall that, but Buddy Harrelson is part of my favorite Mets trivia question - name the only 5 Mets managers to have a winning record with the Mets. Hodges, Davey, Buddy, Bobby V, and, yes, Willie.

By the way, did you hear? D Wright has been signed for 6 years, $55 million. Nice job, Mets.

Anonymous said...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/08/06/wright.extension/index.html

Metstradamus said...

Glad the Mets did the right thing (no I will not use "Wright thing" as a pun...I refuse!)

Good times.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Way to go Omar. Perfect length/price on this deal. He'll be an absolute bargain.

Think Reyes is pissed Dwright got 2 more years and 40 more million? I'd suspect so.

Anonymous said...

If Reyes has a problem with it, he should've gotten a better agent. Hey, at least he gets a suite when on the road - that should more than fill the void.

Metstradamus said...

Tommy...I think I even spelled it wrong. I have no idea what came over me.

And let that be a lesson to you all. Just say "no" to drugs.

Anonymous said...

according to minaya.

wright got a longer deal because he wanted one. he want to retire a met, if he cans.

they wanted to do a longer contract with reyes, but he didnt want to go that long.

btw, i read somewhere that reyes was embarassed about the attention he got after the deal.