Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We Aren't Going To Do That, Unless Of Course We Do

January 19th, 2009:
"I don't see us doing a left-handed hitter," Minaya said. "It's going to be a real low-end right-handed hitter if we do anything." -Omar Minaya
January 20th, 2009:
The Mets and OF Cory Sullivan agreed to a one-year, $600,000 contract, which includes $300,000 in incentives ... The 29–year-old Sullivan, who bats left-handed ...
Gee, nothing like setting the bar low and then tripping over the bar.

But I guess worrying about bench players isn't the worst thing in the world ... It couldn't get worse than last year's bench ... could it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would guess that Cory Sullivan had nothing to do with that quote. My guess is that the opportunity presented itself and the price was right. There's upside, gives the team trade flexibility and signed at a low price. You know what I'm sayin.

Ceetar said...

No, in fact, I think Omar's finding possibilities to have a deep bench, because I'd put that as the second biggest problem last year. (Or maybe bench/bullpen usage?)